• "Mhera" is a 3- or 4-year-old, female shepherd mix who's not great with young children and has no interest in other dogs, but she does know how to sit and beg and walks well on a leash. Likes: alone time, nature documentaries, when things go her way. Dislikes: goldfinches, artificial sweeteners, people on Facebook who can't make a post without mentioning the essential oils/dietary supplements/acne creams they sell on the side.
• “Hoss” is a male pit bull, 2 years, who has been waiting at the shelter for several weeks, wondering why no one seems to want him. He’s fine with other dogs but absolutely not fine with cats. About 60 pounds. Very friendly, loves everyone he meets, and is always up for a ride in the car. He's very strong and has a lot of playful energy. He'll need a home with a fenced yard and no small children. If you would like to fill out an application for Hoss, please email email@example.com. Likes: hot dogs, bratwursts, steak. Dislikes: cats, when someone steals his spot on the couch when he was only going to be up for a minute, getting wet.
• "Barnaby Jones" is a 2- or 3-year-old beagle mix with a pretty horrific and untreated case of fleas. Likes: Taco Tuesday, flea heartworm preventatives (proper care in general, really), beef jerky. Dislikes: willful negligence, fleas, various other pests.
• "Rusty" is a male Lab-boxer mix, around 2 years and 55 pounds. He's heartworm positive, which can hurt his chances for adoption, but he's hopeful. If you would like to donate for this handsome boy's treatment, please go to hswcin.org and click on the PayPal link. Please have your dogs tested for heart worms at the vet and start them on preventative. The treatment is expensive — often several hundred dollars — and painful. The preventative is generally $10 or less per month and painless. Likes: egg rolls, the rise of Twitter, political memoirs. Dislikes: gossip magazines, the entire idea of hummus, budget cuts for public education.
• "Arabella" is an older, female chocolate Lab. Likes: reruns of the Golden Girls, rides in the car, going BMX biking events. Dislikes: Hawaiian shirts on non-Hawaiians, shag carpeting, when people put those plastic covers on all their furniture.
• "Millie" is a 2-year-old female, brindle and white, surrendered with two others. Likes: cooking shows, soft beds, stolen cupcakes. Dislikes: hunting shows, mud, bread and butter pickles.
• "Triton" is an American bulldog, male, 7 months, looking for a new home as his last family is expanding. He needs some work with manners and is very active. Likes: ruling the seven seas, a nice seaweed wrap, all-you-can-eat shrimp deals at restaurants. Dislikes: when his wayward teenage daughter trades her voice for a pair of legs, ocean pollution, oil spills.
• "S'more" is a catahoula mix, female, 1 1/2 years old. She was surrendered because she killed chickens. She may have some issues with other dogs, requiring her to be an only child, but shelter staff are checking further to see if her behavior could just be nerves from being in a new place. She's around 40 pounds. Likes: chicken barbecue, chicken tenders, chicken nuggets. Dislikes: vigilante justice, stormy skies, cole slaw.
• "Winston" is a 2-year-old male Mastiff, around 65 pounds. Likes: being really big, kittens (not as a snack), superhero movies. Dislikes: anti-pit/anti-mastiff rhetoric, getting up before the sun, most karaoke.
• It’s kitten season, so there’s lots to choose from. With the first round of shots and the spay/neuter costs included in the $50 adoption fee, they shelter is more or less paying you to bring kittens home. Come by and check them out! If you surrender a litter of puppies or kittens, you can get the mothers spayed for free — call 812-883-3673. Giving kittens and puppies away for free does not help the community’s pet overpopulation problem. Animals adopted from the shelter are spayed or neutered.
Furthermore, it is illegal to dump animals at the shelter. Arrangements can be made by calling she shelter for surrender of animals before or after opening hours. Cameras are rolling and signs are posted warning violators will be prosecuted.
• "Pringle" is a gray tiger kitten, 8 weeks. Likes: stalking dust bunnies, climbing, hang-gliding. Dislikes: when their claws get stuck on the carpet, sneaky pillows, totalitarian dictatorships.
• "Calliope" and "Thalia" are two young adult calico sisters. Like: funny poetry, great music across genres, snarky characters in TV dramas. Dislike: fake Greek food, limericks, lazy storytelling in long-running TV shows.
• "Marble" is a young adult cat, mostly white with darker markings on their back. Likes: purring like a motorboat, nuzzling, screaming at flies. Dislikes: water beds, mittens, systemic racism.
• "Missa" is a female calico who came into the shelter with her kittens. They're old enough to be weaned, so she's on the hunt for a nice, peaceful forever home where she can live out her empty nest years. Likes: free childcare, nights to herself, chillin' in her leggings and a glass of Pinot Meow (yes, cat-friendly wine is a thing). Dislikes: the lack of access to reliable and affordable birth control, deadbeat dads, when her water bowl is only half-full.
• "Lord Flufferton" is a male Maine Coon mix, currently in foster care. If you would like an application for this handsome guy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Likes: tuna steak, watching out the window for invaders, sitting in front of fans so his hair blows around like he's in a shampoo commercial. Dislikes: overcooked pasta, reality television (except for Real Housewives — it's like watching a train wreck; you can't really look away), orange-scented furniture polish.
• "Zeta" is a gray-striped kitten. Likes: scampering, auditing college classes, jazz music. Dislikes: when humans aren't suitably impressed with her offerings of slain ants she spent whole seconds hunting, westerns, tomatoes.
• "Brenda" is a mother cat ready to find a nice place for an empty nester to settle down. Likes: Broadway soundtracks, listening to podcasts, Purrkinstocks. Dislikes: bad drivers, rowdy teens, people who want to defund NPR.
• “Kore" is an adult cat who was brought in with untreated ear mites and has one ear smaller than the other. Likes: programs that teach ASL in schools like any other language course, music with melody, peaches. Dislikes: the state of the national budget, gas prices, static electricity.
• "Senka" is a beautiful, black spayed female cat with her first rabies shot, so she's ready to go home with you today. Likes: bird watching, fine dining, the new Wonder Woman movie. Dislikes: toxic masculinity, catcallers, getting stuck between the window and the blinds while on watch.
Adoption fees include rabies shot and normal cost of spay and neuter. Adoption cost for dogs is $80 and $50 for cats. The return-to-owner fee is $10, plus a $2 per-day board fee and proof of rabies shot or another $10.
Shelter hours are Monday through Friday, from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday. Closed on Sunday and holidays. Contact Salem Animal Control or the Salem Shelter at 812-883-3673 or Washington County Animal Control at 812-883-5999.