• "Mhera" is a 3- or 4-year-old, female shepherd mix who's not great with young children and has no interest in other dogs, but she does know how to sit and beg and walks well on a leash. Likes: alone time, nature documentaries, when things go her way. Dislikes: goldfinches, artificial sweeteners, people on Facebook who can't make a post without mentioning the essential oils/dietary supplements/acne creams they sell on the side.
• "Aristotle" is a male Lab mix, 1 or 2 years old, around 40 pounds. Likes: pausing for deep thought, educational mentorship programs, studying marine biology. Dislikes: sitting still, kettle chips, bathing.
• “Hoss” is a male pit bull, 2 years, who has been waiting at the shelter for several weeks, wondering why no one seems to want him. He’s fine with other dogs but absolutely not fine with cats. About 60 pounds. Very friendly, loves everyone he meets, and is always up for a ride in the car. He's very strong and has a lot of playful energy. He'll need a home with a fenced yard and no small children. If you would like to fill out an application for Hoss, please email email@example.com. Likes: hot dogs, bratwursts, steak. Dislikes: cats, when someone steals his spot on the couch when he was only going to be up for a minute, getting wet.
• "Chief" is a shepherd-heeler mix, about 1 year old and about 45 pounds. He's all white with some brown speckles on the tips of his ears. He can hear. Needs a home with older children (10 and up) because he loves to herd and is not a fan of cats or chickens in the worst way. He belonged to an Amish family that was getting ready to shoot him for chasing their chickens, but another man at the property said he would take him instead of letting them kill Chief. The man already had another dog and couldn't keep him, so he brought him to the shelter. Likes: organization, sorting things into groups, chicken prepared any way the chef likes. Dislikes: firearms, the smell of onions, baked potato chips.
• "Arabella" is an older, female chocolate Lab. Likes: reruns of the Golden Girls, rides in the car, going BMX biking events. Dislikes: Hawaiian shirts on non-Hawaiians, shag carpeting, when people put those plastic covers on all their furniture.
• "Troy" (AKA "Sport") is a male, Lab mix, around 50 pounds. Loves kids and staff are working on housebreaking. Likes: chasing things, ska music (secretly), wagging his tail. Dislikes: the very idea of shoes/booties for dogs (he would rather be carried in order to avoid heat/salt burns and snow because he's worth it), spiderwebs, police sirens.
• It’s kitten season, so there’s lots to choose from. With the first round of shots and the spay/neuter costs included in the $40 adoption fee, they shelter is more or less paying you to bring kittens home. Come by and check them out! If you surrender a litter of puppies or kittens, you can get the mothers spayed for free — call 812-883-3673. Giving kittens and puppies away for free does not help the community’s pet overpopulation problem. Animals adopted from the shelter are spayed or neutered.
• "Pringle" is a gray tiger kitten, 8 weeks. Likes: stalking dust bunnies, climbing, hang-gliding. Dislikes: when their claws get stuck on the carpet, sneaky pillows, totalitarian dictatorships.
• "Bigwig" is a kitten, white socks and chest. Likes: feather toys, frolicking, mauling their enemies (mostly bugs). Dislikes: shouting, the state of the current job market, carrots.
• "Dez" is a tiger kitten who watched their sibling get adopted without them. Likes: watching DIY TV but not actually finishing any projects, playing around on Pinterest, gently tipping items off of tables and onto the floor (hush, it's art). Dislikes: those online lists of Pinterest fails (more like failure to follow directions), when couples on those real estate shows are a little too Stepford, greasy egg rolls.
• "Calliope" and "Thalia" are two young adult calico sisters. Like: funny poetry, great music across genres, snarky characters in TV dramas. Dislike: fake Greek food, limericks, lazy storytelling in long-running TV shows.
• "Pause" (get it? Paws? Pause? I'm so sorry) is a young adult cat, white with stripes. Likes: (secretly) those apps on human phones for cats that let them try to bat around fish in a pond, actually getting to bat around fish in a pond, nuzzling. Dislikes: when the bottom of their food bowl is visible (what are you trying to do? Starve them?), running out of things to bat under the fridge, when the counter is too full to hop up.
• "Senka" is a beautiful, black spayed female cat with her first rabies shot, so she's ready to go home with you today. Likes: bird watching, fine dining, the new Wonder Woman movie. Dislikes: toxic masculinity, catcallers, getting stuck between the window and the blinds.
• "Zeta" is a gray-striped kitten. Likes: scampering, auditing college classes, jazz music. Dislikes: when humans aren't suitably impressed with her offerings of slain ants she spent whole seconds hunting, westerns, tomatoes.
• "Brenda" is a mother cat ready to find a nice place for an empty nester to settle down. Likes: Broadway soundtracks, listening to podcasts, Purrkinstocks. Dislikes: bad drivers, rowdy teens, people who want to defund NPR.
• “Kore" is an adult cat who was brought in with untreated ear mites and has one ear smaller than the other. Likes: programs that teach ASL in schools like any other language course, music with melody, peaches. Dislikes: the state of the national budget, gas prices, static electricity.
Adoption fees include rabies shot and normal cost of spay and neuter. Adoption cost for dogs is $80 and $50 for cats. The return-to-owner fee is $10, plus a $2 per-day board fee and proof of rabies shot or another $10.
Shelter hours are Monday through Friday, from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday. Closed on Sunday and holidays. Contact Salem Animal Control or the Salem Shelter at 812-883-3673 or Washington County Animal Control at 812-883-5999.