• “Trixie” the black beagle mix, 4, was turned in because she became possessive of her human and didn’t want to share them with other dogs. Around 40 pounds. Likes: her humans, all of the attention, peanuts. Dislikes: sharing, that fake-throw thing humans do with the toys while playing fetch, pumpkins.
• “Leo” the rottweiler mix, is about 10 months old, male. His owners could no longer keep him and he was very unsure at first, but has become a happy, active dog. Likes: playing outside, wagging his tail, sniffing. Dislikes: Lemons, turtles that look like rocks but then they move and they are definitely not just rocks and that’s not natural, classical music.
• “Tony” is a 2- to 3-year-old shepherd-husky mix. Likes: romping, kiddie pools of ice in the summer, a well-grilled steak. Dislikes: Foreign films, baseballs he’s not allowed to catch, cages.
• “Nasha” is a sweet, chocolate Lab-pit bull mix, 2. Turned in when her humans were evicted from their home. Likes: wide open spaces, a snuggle buddy, watching cat videos on YouTube. Dislikes: Loud noises, jacked-up pick-up trucks, flies in the house.
• “Zeke” is a beagle mix, 8 months to a year, about 30 pounds and good with other dogs. Surrendered because his owner has MS and couldn’t handle a young, active dog, Doesn’t look beagle, but sounds beagle. Likes: rides in the car, playing, the ripe, ripe smell of dehydrating earth worms on the sidewalk after a rain. Dislikes: the scratchy bits on cats/friends, cold French fries (he’ll still eat them, but he doesn’t like them, OK?), Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars.
• “Avery” is an older adult poodle-shih tzu mix, sweet, with a homemade haircut and teeth in need of some work. Great for someone wanting a smaller companion dog, as she’s only about 10 pounds. Likes: watching her stories, death metal music, a well-roasted ham. Dislikes: tomatoes, tardiness, televised tennis.
• “Sunny” is an adult, yellow cat. Likes: watching Shark Tank, binging on Food Network, competitive speedwalking. Dislikes: sneaky cucumbers, the red dot, stress.
• “Torti” is a young adult cat. Likes: John Hughes movies, blogging, making gifs. Dislikes: overdramatic tweets, political debates, Parmesan cheese.
• “Jacki” is an adult yellow cat. Likes: snuggles, attention, you. Dislikes: corn, getting wet, goldfinches.
• “Dock” is a yellow cat. Likes: fishing, hiding in paper bags, watching Olympic gymnastics. Dislikes: water sports, fresh rosemary, overcooked grilled chicken sandwiches from drive-thrus.
• “Caramel” is a young adult, black cat, very loving. Likes: lounging, Agatha Christie novels, a well-grilled salmon steak. Dislikes: rap music, TV news, 10-gallon hats (they freak Caramel out).
• “Sage” is a gray, young adult tiger cat. Likes: their little green ball toy, their cat bed, French fries. Dislikes: Jackson Pollack paintings, noisy dogs (calm, quiet ones are fine), static-charged cellophane.
Adoption fees include rabies shot and normal cost of spay and neuter. Adoption cost for dogs is $65 and $40 for cats. The return-to-owner fee is $10, plus a $2 per-day board fee and proof of rabies shot or another $10.
Shelter hours are Monday through Friday, from 1 to 5 p.m. and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday. Closed on Sunday and holidays. Contact Salem Animal Control or the Salem Shelter at 812-883-3673 or Washington County Animal Control at 812-883-5999.