• “Maxine” the terrier mix is 6 and was originally adopted from the shelter when she was 1. She recently started killing chickens, so was returned to the shelter. She may be best as an only dog. Likes: warm breezes through her hair, a nice evening out at the symphony, golden brown chicken tenders. Dislikes: when dinner won’t stop squawking and running around, heavy metal music, getting her feet wet.
• “Sasha” is a female Heeler. Likes: “Gilmore Girls,” her collection of vintage glass figurines, a quiet Sunday morning while watching “Meet the Press.” Dislikes: Loud music, alfalfa sprouts, televised sports.
• “Breeze” is a female Walker coonhound, 1 to 2, about 45 pounds. Likes: the smell of coffee, chasing the ball in the yard, Cheetos. Dislikes: the taste of coffee, the movie “Gremlins” and when humans think they can fool her into taking a pill by wrapping it in cheese.
• “Dax” is an adult, male Lab. Likes: Monty Python clips on YouTube, silly walks, shouting “Ni!” at old ladies. Dislikes: Hamsters, elderberries, dead parrots.
• “Trixie” the black beagle mix, 4, was turned in because she became possessive of her human and didn’t want to share them with other dogs. Around 40 pounds. Likes: her humans, all of the attention, peanuts. Dislikes: sharing, that fake-throw thing humans do with the toys while playing fetch, pumpkins.
• “Leo” the rottweiler mix, is about 10 months old, male. His owners could no longer keep him and he was very unsure at first, but has become a happy, active dog. Likes: playing outside, wagging his tail, sniffing. Dislikes: Lemons, turtles that look like rocks but then they move and they are definitely not just rocks and that’s not natural, classical music.
• “Frank” is a male, wirehaired mix, about 25 pounds. Likes: the movie “Because of Winn Dixie,” making friends, pork and beans. Dislikes: being brushed, mosquitoes, mustard.
• “Rusty” is a brown and white Lab mix, 2 to 3, around 50 pounds. A great dog that everyone seems to overlook. He is heartworm positive and if you would like to donate please go to hswcin.org and donate through PayPal. Don’t have a PayPal account, you can go to the shelter or mail checks to HSWC, 204 Joseph Street, Salem, IN 47167. He’s been at the shelter long enough to have been housebroken. Likes: pick-up trucks, movies starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (includes “Moana” and “Tooth Fairy,” but if you tell anyone, he will end you), fish sticks. Dislikes: Tartar sauce, citrus fruit, balloons.
• “Sunny” is an adult, yellow cat. Likes: watching Shark Tank, binging on Food Network, competitive speedwalking. Dislikes: sneaky cucumbers, the red dot, stress.
• “Tabitha” is a gray cat, very pretty. Likes: people-watching, bird-watching, purring. Dislikes: being photographed, barking dogs, stepping into puddles of water her humans missed wiping up.
• “Shae” is a gray and white adult cat, very sweet and loving. Lots of personality, but content to lay in her bed and wait on someone to see what a sweet cat she is. Likes: selfies, scrolling through Instagram, organizing knitting materials. Dislikes: double-sided tape left out on the counters, those covers that go over the arms of couches and chairs, spinach.
• “Torti” is a young adult cat. Likes: John Hughes movies, blogging, making gifs. Dislikes: overdramatic tweets, political debates, Parmesan cheese.
• “Dru” is a dark gray and white young adult, has a ridge of hair down its back like a ridgeback dog. Likes: watching home and garden shows, professional wrestling, yard sales. Dislikes: having to pay separate shipping and handling when ordering from infomercials, slow internet, soggy buns because the steakhouse didn’t cook your burger long enough.
Adoption fees include rabies shot and normal cost of spay and neuter. Adoption cost for dogs is $65 and $40 for cats. The return-to-owner fee is $10, plus a $2 per-day board fee and proof of rabies shot or another $10.
Shelter hours are Monday through Friday, from 1 to 5 p.m. and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday. Closed on Sunday and holidays. Contact Salem Animal Control or the Salem Shelter at 812-883-3673 or Washington County Animal Control at 812-883-5999.